When you are using a telescope, it is essential to use an excellent narrowband filter. If your narrowband filter is not good enough or no problem with your narrowband filter, you will not get a clear vision of the visual spectrum. Most telescope users find it very tough to choose a high-quality narrowband filter.
And as a result, they can not enjoy their aerospace navigation. But hold on, we have come out with a solution. In this article, we will introduce the ten best narrowband filters. Our expert team has chosen these ten narrowband filters for your telescope.
10 Best Narrowband Filters Review
1. SVBONY SII CCD Narrowband Filter
Our very first product on this list is SVBONY SII CCD narrowband filter. This is from the famous SVBONY brand, which is very popular for its high-end astronomy and sports optic products.
- High-quality materials from Germany have been used to make this narrowband filter.
- The lens of this filter has multiple layers of anti-reflection non-cementing coatings.
- Electron beam gun evaporation was used to apply the coatings with Ion-assisted deposition.
- The lens is made of Scott glass which is imported from Germany.
- This narrowband filter is effortless to mount with a telescope.
- It is very light in weight.
- SVBONY narrowband filter provides you with a clear aperture.
- You do not need to use a separate IR cut filter because it blocks infrared wavelengths from 700nm to 1100nm.
- The metal cell is fragile.
- This narrowband filter is not preferable for astrophotography.
SVBONY narrowband filter is one of the best narrowband filters of the astronomy optic market. This is a high-end product and offers you fantastic performance. You can easily capture your best astronomy pictures with this Sulphur lens.
2. SVBONY H Alpha Narrowband Filter
Our second product is also from the promising astronomy and sports optic brand SVBONY. This SVBONY brand was founded in 2014. Since then, this company has launched some amazing optic products for astrophotography. So check the product details mentioned below.
- This optical lens is made out of high-quality glass, imported from Germany.
- It cuts off light damage.
- SVBONY hydrogen alpha narrowband filter is featured with laser engraving.
- The metal frame of this filter is made out of superior aviation aluminum.
- There is a lining of double EVA damping cotton. It helps to prevent damage during transportation.
- It has multi-layers of anti-reflection coating.
- This narrowband filter is just way too perfect for capturing the photo of the moon.
- The filter is good enough to ignore stray light and other light pollution.
- Due to the lining of EVA damping cotton, it is very easy to carry.
- This narrowband filter does not go with some models of Canon. So you need to check the size chart thoroughly.
SVBONY hydrogen alpha narrowband is one of the best narrow bands of the optic industry. This product is just excellent for astrophotography. We suggest you buy this product for your telescope. Also, this lens can be mounted into some specific cameras.
3. Astromania 2” Narrowband Filter
Astromania 2” narrowband filter is a Hydrogen Alpha filter. This filter is good enough for astronomers. If you are looking for a filter for astrophotography, we suggest you check this filter.
- It is challenging to take Astro pictures under a light-polluted night sky. With this H- narrowband alpha filter, you can complete your astrophotography efficiently.
- This narrowband filter assures you of the outstanding quality of pictures you will take with it because it enhances the contrast between the object and the sky.
- It works as a cut-off filter that filters out a large part of night pollution.
- This filter blocks the stray lights. And also, it blocks the rays that come from mercury or sodium vapor lights.
- You will be glad to know that this narrowband filter is perfect for capturing Hydrogen nebula.
- Easy to mount at telescopes.
- This is a perfect hydrogen-alpha filter.
- It gives you great Astro pictures.
- This filter can block stray light.
- This narrowband filter can not protect your nacked eyes from harmful rays.
Astromania narrowband filter is an excellent filter to take Astro pictures at night. It gives you high performance regarding nebula. The price of this filter is also satisfying. And that is why we suggest you buy this narrowband filter.
4. Celestron Oxygen III Narrowband Filter
- This narrowband filter isolates the oxygen lines emitted by nebulae.
- It is made in China.
- The filter is very light in weight.
- Celestron narrowband filter blocks the stray light.
- The price of this filter is not so high.
- This is a very well-built filter.
- It is excellent to observe nebulae.
- This product is not that featureful like other products that we have listed in this list.
If you think about buying an oxygen filter on a pocket-friendly budget, then the Celestron oxygen iii narrowband filters will be a very good option. You will be able to observe the nebulae without any light pollution. This is a great deal indeed.
5. Orion Ultrablock Narrowband Filter
Orion Ultrablock is a trendy lens among astrophotographers. People like it because of its high-end pictures. This narrowband filter is incorporated with many optic technologies.
- Orion ultra block narrowband filter has the power to increase the contrast of emission and planetary nebulas.
- It provides you with incredible sight even with light pollution.
- While passing the critical hydrogen beta and ionized oxygen wavelengths of light, it blocks all the light pollution.
- It gives you perfect astrophotographs every time.
- This product cults off light pollution.
- With this filter, you will get an amazing view of nebulae.
- The price of this product may feel a little bit high to some people.
Orion ultra block narrowband filter is a great lens to enjoy your time with your telescope. It will help you to get the perfect view by blocking the light pollution. You can buy this lens without any hesitation.
6. H-beta Narrowband Filter
The Southstar brand manufactures H-beta narrowband filters. This product is famous for its promising performance. It offers you something more than the sky. You can have an excellent observatory time with this filter.
- With this H-beta narrowband filter, you will be able to observe the faint nebulae on moderate to dark nights.
- You can use this lens with DSLR cameras for astrophotography.
- This filter mainly works well on horsehead, cocoon, and California nebulae.
- It blackens the sky background so that you can watch nebulae perfectly.
- Every H-beta narrowband filter is inspected strictly so that you do not find any problem with your one.
- This filter provides you with high-end pictures under the dark sky.
- It is specialized in viewing Nebulae, Horsehead, etc.
- It can be used for astrophotography.
- This lens is recommended for 8” or larger telescopes.
With this hydrogen beta narrowband filter, you will enjoy your Astro observation perfectly. This is a high-quality lens. And that is the reason why we have selected this narrowband filter for you.
7. Astromania 1.25” H-Beta Narrowband Filter
Astromania 1.25” h-beta narrowband filter is a hydrogen filter manufactured by the well-known astronomy accessories brand Astromania. It works very well. Astronomers love this product for its high-end performance.
- It is a metal mount hydrogen filter.
- This narrowband filter can reject complete light pollution.
- It offers you extremely high transmission and can block longer wavelengths.
- The entire lens surface is fine optically polished.
- This hydrogen filter offers you an impressive performance.
- It is beneficial to observe nebulae, even if that is quite faint.
- You won't be able to find such a fine hydrogen narrowband filter at such a cheap rate.
- The filter is perfect for telescopes with a larger aperture.
If you love to observe nebulae with a greater aperture than Astromania h-beta narrowband filter is a perfect thing for you. This lens is not only budget-friendly but also provides you fantastic performance.
8. Orion 5590 Deluxe Eyepiece Filter set
Now it is time to introduce you to a filter set. Orion 5590 deluxe eyepiece filter set is a product of the Orion brand. Check the following discussion to find out more about this set of narrowband filters.
- This filter set is best for viewing all types of celestial objects.
- It is a 1.25” narrowband filter set.
- You will get a variable polarizing eyepiece filter to get an optimal view of the moon and planetary.
- #80A medium blue, #25 red, #58 green, and #15 deep yellow- these four colors are available in this set of filters.
- You will get a SkyGlow broadband eyepiece filter in this set.
- These filters are made of optical glass and anodized aluminum cells.
- These filters cut off all the light pollution.
- In this set, you will get all the useful narrowband filters.
- The price range of this filter set is very low.
- This set comes with a hard case.
- This narrowband filter set is only for telescopes.
If you are thinking about buying a set of narrowband filters, Orion 5590 deluxe filter set is for you. This set is exceptionally significant when it comes to performance. But the price of this narrowband filter set is absolutely cheap.
9. Alstar 2” Narrowband Filter
Alstar 2” narrowband filters are great for the view of the moon. It is a product of the renowned brand Alstar. Features that make this lens so promising are discussed below.
- The lens of the filter is made out of renowned Schott and Hoya optical glass.
- This is a highly polished filter.
- With this filter, you will get an overwhelming view of the moon.
- It has metal cell threads.
- This is perfect for taking pictures of the moon and planets.
- You will absolutely love the observation of the moon with this filter.
- The lens will not add any color to the color of the moon.
- This filter is beneficial for astrophotographers.
- You can mount this filter only in giant aperture telescopes.
If you are a moon lover, then this is a perfect product for you. It offers you the best view of the moon and planets. And you get this filter at a very low price. So we suggest you buy this Alstar 2” narrowband filter.
10. UHC Narrowband Filter
Our last but not least product in this list of the ten best narrowband filters is UHC narrowband filters. It is a product from the Southstar brand. Astro observers love this filter for many reasons.
- This is a wonderful product to observe nebulae.
- It reduces light pollution and gives a clear view.
- This filter blockages light polluting lines.
- You are going to enjoy observing nebulae with this lens.
- The price of this product is way too low than other products.
- This is not a much featured narrowband filter.
Are you looking for a filter to observe nebulae? UHC narrowband filters can be an ideal option for you because it offers you an excellent viewing at a meager price.
Things to Consider Before Buying Narrowband Filters
We always suggest astronomers buy quality narrowband filters from renowned optic brands. But still, there are a few facts that one should consider before buying a narrowband filter. And they are-
The most important part of a narrowband filter is the lens of the optic. So it is essential to choose a filter with high-quality optics. Always try to buy one that features fully polished optics because this type of lens offers you high transmission, which is very important for astrophotography.
Choose a narrowband filter that can be mounted easily with your telescope and camera’s lens. Do not choose a narrowband filter that is too hard to mount. If you use a mount like this there is a possibility you will get a scratch on the lens of the filter. There is no doubt that the lens is the most important part of a narrowband filter. And you don't want any scratch or spot on the filter.
Light pollution blocking performance
A narrowband filter works to prevent stray light from your astrophotography. If a filter can not block the stray light properly, then you will not get quality pictures. So buy a narrowband filter that offers you light pollution blocking performance of extreme level.
Although this point is not related to the quality of a narrowband filter, it is as important as the other points. Before buying a narrowband filter, you need to know for which purpose you are buying that. There are different types of narrowband filters for different purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Narrowband Filters
What is a narrowband filter?
A narrowband filter is a type of astronomical filter that is considered to be a telescope accessory. This thing helps to capture a tiny part of the visual spectrum. Just like its name, narrowband have narrow filters. It is designed to pass very restricted band wavelengths around specific emission lines of Ha, SII, OIII. Here Ha stands for Hydrogen-Alpha, SII stands for Sulfur II, and OIII stands for Oxygen III.
What are the benefits of narrowband imaging?
Narrowband filters are great for taking astrophotographs. You can tune to specific emission lines with a narrowband filter. It increases contrast by eliminating the continuum. You will see different structures (for example- OIII, SII, NII, etc.) by using it. Not only that, these filters extend imaging time with moonlight and allows you to take images in a light polluter area.
What filters do I need for astrophotography?
For astrophotography, the most common filters are mentioned below
- Hydrogen-Alpha (656nm)
- Hydrogen Beta (486nm)
- Oxygen (OIII – 496nm and 501nm)
- Sulfur (SII – 672nm).
Observing the night sky filled with stars and the moon has always been a very satisfying way of relaxation. And when it comes to observing the planets, nebulae through a telescope are much more exciting and educative at the same time. Only a tremendous narrowband filter can give you the utmost pleasure to watch the Celestron.
And that is the reason why we have chosen the best narrowband filters for you. Let us know your opinion about us. Leave your words in the comment section. We will be back to you as soon as possible.